INFORMATION FOR VETERANS
Find out if you qualify and view instructions for accessing the Care for Veterans Program
Veterans must obtain an authorization prior to their appointment. If a veteran is cared for without having an authorization, this could result in the veteran paying costly out-of-pocket expenses.
Qualifying veterans must work with Health Net Federal Services or TriWest Healthcare Alliance to coordinate all appointments with a provider’s office or facility. To get started, follow these instructions for accessing the Care for Veterans Program:
- Select your local Ascension site of care.
- Make sure you have information on hand about any other health insurance coverage you may have.
- To make an appointment, call the number on the back of your Care for Veterans Card 1-866-606-8198 to verify eligibility and obtain authorization. The VA will work with you to ensure you are approved for care and schedule you to see your local Ascension provider.
When you call, the VA will:
- Ask for your ZIP code.
- Ask for your address.
- Check to make sure you are eligible for this program.
- Check which of your needs are covered by the VA.
- Ask for your preferred community provider. Remember to request your local Ascension doctor.
Veterans have no copayments or cost-shares in this program. A veteran will not be billed directly for any services or supplies furnished under this contract. The only exception to this is if the veteran has Other Health Insurance (OHI). In the case of Other Health Insurance for a non-service connected claim, it is appropriate to collect a copayment from the veteran for the OHI, if applicable. If you are receiving service connected care, you will not be responsible for your deductible as VA is primarily responsible for service-connected care received through the Care for Veterans Program.
VA established the Community Care Call Center to resolve instances of improper veteran billing. Veterans experiencing problems can call the center at 1-877-881-7618 for assistance.
To find out more on how you can access the Care for Veterans Program, visit http://www.va.gov/opa/choiceact.