Ascension Via Christi has a rich history of serving the people of Kansas and the surrounding region dating back more than 100 years to the healing ministries of its founding congregations. Today, Ascension Via Christi is the largest provider of healthcare services in Kansas. The system serves Kansas and northeast Oklahoma through doctors, hospitals, senior villages and health services.
Ascension Via Christi covered entities experienced $11.4 million in savings from the 340B program in FY2021. Many residents in both the Wichita, Pittsburg and Manhattan areas are in need, and Ascension Via Christi has historically offered many programs and services to care for them because of the 340B program.
In fiscal year 2021, Ascension Via Christi provided more than $89.8 million in community benefit and charity care. Of the total number of patients served by Ascension Via Christi in the Wichita area, 25 percent don’t have Medicaid or are uninsured.
Programs enhanced by 340B benefits:
- Medication assistance program: coordinator works with patients, social workers and physicians for patients to access free medications through patient assistance programs.
- Charitable pharmacies: operates a Dispensary of Hope location serving uninsured populations with free medication.
- Medication affordability program: provides medication at no cost to the patient if unable to obtain through the Dispensary of Hope.
- Transitional Care Clinic: focuses on patients who cannot be seen by a primary care provider within seven days of hospital discharge and has reduced unnecessary hospital readmissions and emergency department visits for these patients by 91 percent.
- Community Cares clinic: provides home-based care to patients with chronic lung and cardiac disease. Since May 2014, it has helped patients access the resources they need to safely care for themselves at home, requiring fewer emergency room visits and hospital admissions related to their disease.
- Medical Mission at Home: historically held at least annually at multiple locations across the state, the event provides free medical, vision and dental services to those in need.
Learn more about Ascension Kansas’ Community Benefit.